Split the Atom is one of the earliest string tricks created. Originally it was done on relatively responsive yo-yo so it was traditionally finished with a loop. Because of its age, it is probably also the trick with the largest number of variations.
2005 World Yo-Yo Contest version
- Start with a split bottom mount.
- Do a forward underpass with your non-yo hand.
- Do a reverse underpass with your yo-hand, making sure the yo-yo only goes onto the second string on your index finger (the string that is not directly attached to the finger loop).
- You should now be in a frontstyle double or nothing.
- Do three somersaults.
- Drop the second string loop of the index finger of your yo-hand.
- You are now in an under mount.
- Dismount however you wish.