|Dimensions|| Diameter: 56mm |
|Material||Plastic with anodized aluminum weight rings|
|Bearing size||Size C Center Trac|
|Response system||CBC Large Slim Pads|
To challenge the common belief that metal yo-yos are superior in a competitive setting, YoYoFactory started the "Death to Metal" series, a line of high-performance plastic yo-yos that could match or even surpass metal yo-yos in competitions, as well as costing less. The Protostar, the first of these plastic yo-yos, was developed by YoYoFactory in collaboration with 2008 World 1A Yo-Yo Champion John Ando.
The Protostar made its debut at midnight in the 2009 World Yo-Yo Contest, where the first prototypes of the yo-yo were showcased and sold. Its low-edged Step Straight design reduced sleep loss to a minimum, and its inset aluminum weight rings along with a Center Trac bearing made it very stable, more-so than even its full-metal competitors at the time of its release. That night at Worlds, the Protostar made an impact in the yo-yo community, and it has been released in many colorways since then. The Japan Collection version of the Protostar, released in March 2015, featured a rounded side on its weight rings.
The yo-yo had also become the basis for certain other yo-yos listed below:
- Northstar - Heavier version of the Protostar based on Jensen Kimmitt's personal specifications.
- Starlite - All-plastic glow-in-the-dark model.
- StarBrite - All-plastic version of the Protostar with side caps instead of weight rings, released in 2011 as part of the Neon Collection.
- Divault - Hyper Yo-Yo-exclusive model based mostly on the Northstar, but with the Protostar's rounded side hubs.
- POPstar - Undersized aluminum yo-yo based on the Protostar's shape. Features a standard SPEC bearing.
- ONEstar - Cost-performance model based on the Protostar's shape and the One's celcon body. Features a standard SPEC bearing.
SR's ProtoStar Review: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,10576.0.html
Kobansora's ProtoStar Review: http://www.yoyonation.com/talk/index.php/topic,67255.0.html